The Cisco Meraki MG21E provides the following: Connectivity is critical for any organization that depends on reliable internet access in order to function. Moreover, Wireless WAN connectivity options, such as cellular networks, serve as a reliable backup internet uplink in the event of a primary uplink failure.
The MG21E cellular gateway simplifies the path to wireless WAN connectivity and makes cellular a viable uplink option many networks. In addition, the MG21E acts as a gateway to cellular networks, by converting LTE signal from a cellular provider to an ethernet handoff, which can be used as an internet uplink for a variety of use-cases.
To place an order for an MG cellular gateway, pair a specific hardware model with a single license (which includes cloud services, software upgrades and support). For example, to order an an MG21 with 3 years of enterprise licensing, order an MG21E-HW-NA with LIC-MG21-ENT-3Y. Furthermore, Lifetime warranty with advanced replacement included on MG hardware (excluding accessories) at no additional cost.
Note that the following use-cases refer to using a Meraki MXappliance with the MG21 as a WAN uplink. However, the use-cases can also apply to non-Meraki devices.
Antenna placement where cellular coverage is best
- Signal strength is key for cellular performance. The MG21 makes cellular a viable option in situations where thebest location for the MX is not necessarily the best locationfor a strong cellular signal. The separation ofcellular antenna and MX expands cellular options for all networks, particularly for mid-range MXs mounted in adata center.
- In areas where wired internet services are not available, the MG21 provides a simple, viable option for wirelessWAN connectivity.
Secondary WAN for Failover
- An MX’s secondary WAN interface connected to an MG21 may use the cellular network in the event of aprimary uplink failure.
Secondary WAN for SD-WAN
- An MX with an MG21 as a secondary WAN uplink may use the cellular network to establish VPNs for SD-WAN.
High Availability Uplink
- The MG21 can be used as either a primary or secondary internet uplink for MX HA topologies. Its two LANports allow the MXs to share access to the same cellular network.
Power: DC or PoE
Note: Meraki access point license required